Mitochondrial function is a contributing, but not necessarily essential factor to lower the levels of triglycerides in plasma, according to Carine Lindquist‘s PhD thesis.
Thesis: Mitochondrial function in the regulation of plasma and liver triacylglycerols
Candidate: Carine Lindquist
Time: April 27, 2018 at 11:15
Place: Univeristy of Bergen: BB-building, Auditorium 1
Link to university website (in Norwegian)
(1) Rats fed for three weeks with 2-(tridec-12-yn-1-ylthio)acetic acid (1-triple TTA) had a five-fold increase of hepatic mitochondrial oxidation of fatty acids. Triglyceride levels in both plasma and liver decreased substantially, probably as a consequence of downregulated APOC-III and upregulated LPL and the VLDL receptor.
(2) L-carnitine is important for the catabolism of long-chain fatty acids in the mitochondria, but Lindquists second study shows that 1-triple TTA increases mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation even when L-carnitine levels are low. The results indicate that 1-triple TTA also influences changes in plasma clearance and reduced biosynthesis of triglycerides.
(1) Lindquist, C., Bjørndal, B., Rossmann, C. R., Tusubira, D., Svardal, A., Røsland, G. V., Tronstad, K. J., Hallström,, S., & Berge, R. K. (2017). Increased hepatic mitochondrial FA oxidation reduces plasma and liver TG levels and is associated with regulation of UCPs and APOC-III in rats. Journal of lipid research, 58(7), 1362-1373.
(2) Lindquist, C., Bjørndal, B., Rossmann, C. R., Svardal, A., Hallström, S., & Berge, R. K. (2018). A fatty acid analogue targeting mitochondria exerts a plasma triacylglycerol lowering effect in rats with impaired carnitine biosynthesis. PloS one, 13(3), e0194978.
- priority at NORHEART events
- visibility to other cardiovascular researchers
- e-mail updates and Newsletter
- membership free of charge
Join the Friends of NORHEART mailing list if you want to receive our newsletter without membership.
More than 100 participants attended the 21st Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research, hosted by…
The Norwegian Health Association has awarded the prestigious 2023 Heart Research Award (Hjerteforskningsprisen) to professor Dan…
23 students completed NORHEART’s Introductory Course to Cardiovascular Research and Medicine in Oslo 17–21 October. As usual,…
The 20th Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research was arranged by NORHEART and the Department…