Kjersti Johnsrud aimed to find out if positron emission tomography (PET) with radiolabelled glucose (18F-FDG) is a reliable imaging modality to detect vulnerable atherosclerotic plaques.
Thesis: 18F-FDG PET imaging of atherosclerotic carotid stenosis
Candidate: Kjersti Johnsrud
Time: November 26, 2020 at 12:15
Place: Online-based solution, due to the covid-19 situation
Link to university website
(3) Symptomatic patients referred to surgical treatment for severe atherosclerotic carotid stenosis have higher carotid plaque uptake of 18F-FDG than asymptomatic patients. Uptake correlates significantly with inflammation.
(1/2) Several different methods for quantification of 18F-FDG uptake in carotid atherosclerotic plaques correlate well with each other and with histological assessments of inflammation. Moreover, inter-reader variability of the different methods is low.
These studies include analyses from 43 patients with carotid artery stenosis ≥70%, and 30 plaques were assessed histologically following endarterectomy.
(1) Johnsrud, K., Skagen, K., Seierstad, T., Skjelland, M., Russell, D., & Revheim, M. E. (2019). 18 F-FDG PET/CT for the quantification of inflammation in large carotid artery plaques. Journal of Nuclear Cardiology, 26(3), 883-893.
(2) Johnsrud, K., Seierstad, T., Russell, D., & Revheim, M. E. (2019). Inter-reader agreement of 18F-FDG PET/CT for the quantification of carotid artery plaque inflammation. bioRxiv, 807420.
- priority at NORHEART events
- visibility to other cardiovascular researchers
- e-mail updates and Newsletter
- membership free of charge
Join the Friends of NORHEART mailing list if you want to receive our newsletter without membership.
More than 100 participants attended the 21st Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research, hosted by…
The Norwegian Health Association has awarded the prestigious 2023 Heart Research Award (Hjerteforskningsprisen) to professor Dan…
23 students completed NORHEART’s Introductory Course to Cardiovascular Research and Medicine in Oslo 17–21 October. As usual,…
The 20th Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research was arranged by NORHEART and the Department…