Low arterial oxyhaemoglobin saturation is associated with diastolic dysfunction in the general population. Lene Gjelseth Dalbak‘s PhD research looks at pulse oximetry as a diagnostic test in primary care.
Thesis: Diagnostic tests for lung and heart diseases in primary care – from quality assurance to epidemiology
Candidate: Lene Gjelseth Dalbak
Time: November 2, 2018 at 14:15
Place: UiT The Arctic University of Norway, MH-Vest: Auditorium Cortex
Link to university website (in Norwegian)
(3) Pulse oxymetry can detect diastolic dysfunction. Arterial oxyhaemoglobin saturation values below 95 % were independently linked to 60 % increased odds of having abnormal mitral Doppler flow consistent with impaired left ventricular filling. The study includes 1782 participants above 50 years of age from the population-based Tromsø Study.
(2) Pulse oximetry values below 95 % were linked to reduced lung function and coronary artery disease in stable patients with COPD or asthma. 372 patients above 40 years of age at seven Norwegian general practices were included in the study.
(1) The last study shows that spirometry could be useful for identifying overuse of inhaled glucocorticosteroids in patients with COPD and asthma.
(1) Dalbak, L. G., Rognstad, S., Melbye, H., & Straand, J. (2013). Changed terms for drug payment influenced GPs’ diagnoses and prescribing practice for inhaled corticosteroids. The European journal of general practice, 19(2), 106-110.
(2) Dalbak, L. G., Straand, J., & Melbye, H. (2015). Should pulse oximetry be included in GPs’ assessment of patients with obstructive lung disease?. Scandinavian journal of primary health care, 33(4), 305-310.
(3) Dalbak, L. G., Schirmer, H., Straand, J., Mdala, I., Solberg, O. G., & Melbye, H. (2018). Impaired left ventricular filling is associated with decreased pulse oximetry values. Scandinavian Cardiovascular Journal, 1-7.
Priority at NORHEART events
Opportunities for travel and exchange grants
E-mail updates on key NORHEART events
23 students completed NORHEART’s Introductory Course to Cardiovascular Research and Medicine in Oslo 17–21 October. As usual,…
The 20th Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research was arranged by NORHEART and the Department…
The Norwegian Health Association has awarded the prestigious 2022 Heart Research Award (Hjerteforskningsprisen) to professor Eva…
NORHEART was established in 2013 as part of the research school program of the Research…