Martina Reiten Bovim has studied complications, new-onset pain and emotional distress the first months after stroke.
Thesis: Complications, pain and emotional distress after stroke
Candidate: Martina Reiten Bovim
Time: January 25 at 12:15
Place: St. Olavs Hospital, Medical Technical Research Center: Auditorium MTA
Link to university website (in Norwegian)
(1) Between 2003 and 2013 the risk of complications during the first week after stroke was reduced by 36 %. The reduction was most pronounced in patients with moderate stroke.
The study compares 489 patients who had a stroke in 2002 or 2003 with 185 stroke patients from 2012 and 2013. The reduction was mainly due to fewer heart attacks and a lower risk of progressing stroke, and the frequency of other complications remained unchanged.
(2) New-onset pain occurred in 10 % of stroke patients one week after the stroke and in 22 % three months later. Symptoms of anxiety were linked to new-onset pain. The study includes 390 patients, of which 142 had provided information on pain at both time-points. New-onset pain in the affected upper limb and in both legs increased during follow-up.
(3) A third article focusing on emotional distress after stroke is currently not published.
(1) Bovim, M. R., Askim, T., Lydersen, S., Fjærtoft, H., & Indredavik, B. (2016). Complications in the first week after stroke: a 10-year comparison. BMC neurology, 16(1), 133.
(2) Bovim, M. R., Indredavik, B., Hokstad, A., Lydersen, S., & Askim, T. (2018). new-onset pain in the early phase and three months following stroke–data from a multicenter study. Journal of pain research, 11, 1869.
Priority at NORHEART events
Opportunities for travel and exchange grants
E-mail updates on key NORHEART events
23 students completed NORHEART’s Introductory Course to Cardiovascular Research and Medicine in Oslo 17–21 October. As usual,…
The 20th Annual Norwegian Symposium on Heart Research was arranged by NORHEART and the Department…
The Norwegian Health Association has awarded the prestigious 2022 Heart Research Award (Hjerteforskningsprisen) to professor Eva…
NORHEART was established in 2013 as part of the research school program of the Research…