Kristin Kornelia Utne‘s PhD thesis indicates that post-thrombotic syndrome is the main cause of reduced health-related quality of life in patients suffering from deep vein thrombosis.
- Self-report and visual assistance can provide accurate information on post-thrombotic syndrome following deep vein thrombosis.
- Post-thrombotic syndrome and obesity are predictors of reduced quality of life after deep vein thrombosis.
- Rivaroxaban might reduce the risk of post-thrombotic syndrome.
Thesis: Long-term outcomes of deep vein thrombosis – Studies on diagnosis, prevention and impact of post-thrombotic syndrome
Candidate: Kristin Kornelia Utne
Time: June 21, 2018 at 13:15
Place: Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet: Green auditorium
Link to university website (in Norwegian)
(1) Utne and co-workers developed a new and simple tool to assess post-thrombotic syndrome in patients with deep vein thrombosis. The recommended Villalta scale requires a clinician’s assessment in addition to patient self-assessment, whereas the new scale requires only self-report and visual assistance. The scale showed very good agreement with the Villalta scale, whereas the same scale without visual assistance showed only moderate agreement.
The validity of the tools was assessed in a total of 246 patients diagnosed between 2004 and 2012.
(2) Compared to their buddies, patients with deep vein thrombosis scored lower on all dimensions of health-related quality of life. Having post-thrombotic syndrome and obesity were independently associated with impaired quality of life.
Health-related quality of life was evaluated in 254 patients with confirmed deep vein thrombosis, and the patients were told to ask two friends to complete the same questionnaire.
(3) Patients treated with the new oral anticoagulant rivaroxaban had lower risk of post-thrombotic syndrome than patients treated with the older drug warfarin. 309 patients were included in the study, and also health-related quality of life was better in the rivaroxaban-treated patients.
(1) Utne, K. K., Ghanima, W., Foyn, S., Kahn, S., Sandset, P. M., & Wik, H. S. (2016). Development and validation of a tool for patient reporting of symptoms and signs of the post-thrombotic syndrome. Thrombosis and haemostasis, 115(02), 361-367.
(2) Utne, K. K., Tavoly, M., Wik, H. S., Jelsness-Jørgensen, L. P., Holst, R., Sandset, P. M., & Ghanima, W. (2016). Health-related quality of life after deep vein thrombosis. SpringerPlus, 5(1), 1278.
(3) Utne, K. K., Dahm, A., Wik, H. S., Jelsness-Jørgensen, L. P., Sandset, P. M., & Ghanima, W. (2018). Rivaroxaban versus warfarin for the prevention of post-thrombotic syndrome. Thrombosis research, 163, 6-11.